Keeping a clean and tidy office environment is essential for productivity, employee morale, and creating a positive impression on clients and visitors.
And don’t just take our word for it – the value of office cleaning has been the subject of studies such as this one.
However, to ensure that no area is overlooked and all cleaning tasks are addressed, it’s important to have comprehensive office cleaning checklists you can use daily, weekly and monthly.
These serve as the basis for all our office cleaning projects. Whether or not you’re looking for professional cleaners or a commercial cleaning service, our checklist below serves as a handy reference for maintaining a hygienic and organised workspace.
In this blog, we will provide you with a detailed cleaning checklist for office spaces, covering all the key areas requiring attention.
General cleaning tasks: The day-to-day
Maintaining a clean and clutter-free workspace sets the foundation for a productive office environment. Here are some general cleaning tasks that should be included in your daily office cleaning checklist:
- Dusting surfaces: Regularly dust all hard surfaces, including desks, tables, shelves, and cabinets. Use microfibre cloths to reduce the spread of dust particles.
- Vacuuming or sweeping floors: Vacuum hard floor surfaces and sweep all areas to remove dirt, dust, and debris. Pay special attention to high-traffic areas and entryways.
- Emptying bins: Empty and replace bin liners in all waste bins. Make sure to properly dispose of collected waste.
- Cleaning windows, glass and exterior surfaces: Clean windows, glass doors, and partitions using appropriate glass cleaner solutions. Aim for streak-free results to get sparkling glass windows.
Check out Think FM’s daily office cleaning services to ensure your workplace is clean and welcoming.
Office furniture and fixtures: Take care
These are the frequent touch points of any office – and can quickly accumulate dirt and germs (something that should stay front-of-mind post-pandemic).
Be sure to include these tasks in your commercial office cleaning checklist:
- Wiping down office desks and chairs: Always keep some office cleaning supplies nearby. Clean and disinfect desks, chairs, and other furniture surfaces. Pay attention to commonly touched areas such as armrests and keyboard trays.
- Cleaning computer screens and keyboards: Use screen cleaners and keyboard cleaning tools to remove fingerprints, dust, and debris from computer screens and keyboards.
- Sanitising telephones and other devices: Disinfect office telephones, printers, scanners, and other electronic devices. These devices can harbour germs and bacteria due to frequent handling.
- Dusting and polishing cabinets and shelves: Dust and polish office cabinets, bookshelves, storage units and hard to reach areas to maintain a neat and professional appearance.
Bathroom and kitchen hygiene: Sanitise
Shared spaces require extra attention to maintain cleanliness and hygiene.
Include the following tasks in your daily office cleaning checklist:
- Cleaning and sanitising toilets, sinks, and countertops: Thoroughly clean and sanitise toilet bowls, sinks, and countertops with appropriate cleaning agents. Pay attention to faucets, handles, toilet paper and paper towels’ holders, hand dryers and other high-touch areas.
- Refilling bathroom supplies: Check and replenish toilet paper, paper towel, hand soap, hand sanitiser, and paper towels regularly. Ensure a well-stocked and functional restroom.
- Cleaning kitchen appliances and surfaces: Clean any stains and disinfect kitchen appliances, countertops, sinks, and the microwave oven. Remove any food debris with dish washing liquid for a fresh and inviting break room.
- Emptying and sanitising garbage bins: Empty garbage bins in restrooms and break rooms regularly. Ensure bins are cleaned to maintain a pleasant and odour-free environment.
Floors and carpets: Regular maintenance
Flooring and carpets bear the brunt of foot traffic and require special attention so they remain clean and well-maintained. Keep them in good order with the following office cleaning tasks:
- Carpet cleaning and spot treatment: Vacuum carpets daily to remove loose dirt and debris. Schedule periodic deep cleaning to remove stains and refresh the carpet fibres.
- Mopping hard floors: Regularly mop hard floors using appropriate cleaning solutions. Pay attention to spills, stains, and scuff marks.
- Cleaning floor mats: Vacuum or shake out floor mats to remove dirt and debris. Launder or replace mats as needed to maintain their cleanliness and effectiveness in trapping dirt and moisture.
- Polishing and waxing: If applicable, schedule periodic polishing or waxing of hard floors to restore shine and protect the surface from scratches and wear.
Some hard floor surfaces, such as stone, may require specialist floor cleaning. Get in touch to see how we can help.
Common office space areas: The right impression
The front-of-office and reception area are often the first point of contact for clients and visitors.
Ensure they make a positive impression by including these tasks in your office cleaning checklist:
- Dusting and cleaning waiting areas: Dust and clean furniture, tables, and decor in the waiting and reception area. Pay attention to magazines, brochures and other reading materials, ensuring they are tidy and organised.
- Cleaning entrance and glass doors: Keep entrance areas clean and inviting by regularly cleaning glass doors, windows, and thresholds. Remove fingerprints, smudges, and dirt to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Vacuuming or sweeping common areas: Maintain cleanliness in hallways, corridors, and other common areas by vacuuming or sweeping them regularly. Pay extra attention to corners and baseboards.
- Disinfecting high-touch surfaces: Regularly use disinfectant cleaners on high-touch surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, handrails, and elevator buttons. This helps prevent the spread of germs and ensures a healthy environment.
Take a look at Think FM’s bespoke communal and common area cleaning services.
Specialised areas: A bespoke approach
Depending on the nature of your office space, you may have specialised areas that require specific cleaning attention. Be sure to include these areas in your office cleaning checklist:
- Meeting rooms and conference areas: Clean and sanitise meeting rooms, conference tables, chairs, and audio-visual office equipment. Ensure a clean and organised environment for important client meetings and presentations.
- Laboratories or research areas: If your office includes laboratories or research areas, implement specialised cleaning protocols to maintain cleanliness and safety. Consult your health and safety executive, follow industry standards and guidelines for handling hazardous materials and waste disposal.
- Storage areas and file rooms: Keep storage areas and file rooms organised and tidy. Regularly dust and clean shelves, remove any unnecessary items and ensure proper labelling and organisation of files and documents.
- Breakout spaces and relaxation areas: If your office has breakout spaces or relaxation areas, ensure they are clean and comfortable. Clean furniture, vacuum floors, and remove any food debris or spills.
Summary: Office cleaning checklist
A comprehensive office cleaning checklist is crucial for maintaining a clean, hygienic, and well-organised workspace.
By systematically addressing all areas and tasks outlined in our commercial office cleaning checklist, you can create a healthy and productive environment for your office workers and leave a positive impression on clients and visitors.
Remember, a regular cleaning schedule is key to sustaining a clean office, so follow any checklists consistently.
Always keep some essential cleaning supplies in the office. Just setting some monthly cleaning tasks won’t cut it – keeping a clean workplace is a daily job!
At Think FM, we approach every commercial office cleaning project in a bespoke manner.
If you would like help in developing a cleaning checklist for your office building or are interested in learning more about the services we offer at Think FM, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
share this article