A clean and well-organised office space is crucial for productivity, mental health, and your overall employee wellbeing strategy.
As an employer, it’s essential to create an environment that can reduce stress, foster efficiency and inspire creativity. Commercial cleaning services can help with this.
In this blog, we will explore the numerous benefits of maintaining a clean office space and provide practical tips on how to improve employee wellbeing through a clean workspace.
A clutter-free and clean office environment has a direct impact on employee productivity and personal development.
When you optimise your office space planning – giving employees an organised workspace – they can focus better on their tasks, find necessary documents easily, and avoid distractions.
A clean office can boost staff morale and it also promotes a positive working environment, leading to improved concentration and efficiency. It can also boost team relationships.
By investing in cleanliness, employers can create an environment where employees thrive and accomplish their work more effectively.
Indeed, fresh, clean air increases employee productivity by around 11% (we’ll touch on this in more detail below). Consider how clean air and surfaces might reduce the spread of illness in the workplace, resulting in fewer sick days and increased output.
Enhanced employee wellbeing and mental health
A clean office space significantly contributes to employee wellbeing during working hours.
A dirty or messy workplace can create an uncomfortable and stressful atmosphere, negatively affecting employee morale and in some cases, contributing to mental health issues.
On the other hand, a clean and tidy office promotes a sense of calmness and order, reducing stress levels, improving mental health and increasing overall job satisfaction.
Employers who prioritise cleanliness demonstrate their commitment to employee wellbeing, which can lead to higher employee engagement, retention rates, better job performance and a happier, more motivated workforce.
Improved air quality
We noted the impact air quality can have on productivity above – indoor air quality is a critical aspect of a healthy office environment.
Dust, allergens, and pollutants can accumulate over time, leading to respiratory problems, allergies, and other physical health issues.
Regular cleaning and proper ventilation systems help maintain good air quality, creating a healthier workspace – enabling employees to feel confident about their own wellbeing.
By reducing the presence of allergens and pollutants, employers can minimise sick days, promote overall employee wellbeing and even improve mental health.
Reduced spread of illness
As became highly evident during the COVID-19 pandemic, an unclean office space (or any indoor environment for that matter) can become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
For employers this is a major concern – not simply in terms of physical health. Company output can be hit by increased absenteeism due to illness.
Regular cleaning and disinfection practices, such as fogging or misting, play a vital role in preventing the spread of illnesses, such as colds, flu, and other bugs.
By implementing proper cleaning protocols, employers can reduce sickness and create a healthier environment, minimise the risk of infections, and protect employee wellbeing.
Maintaining a clean office space is essential for promoting employee safety.
A cluttered or untidy workspace can increase the risk of accidents, such as slips, trips, and falls.
By ensuring that walkways are clear, spills are promptly cleaned, and equipment is properly maintained, employers can create a safer environment for their employees.
Prioritising cleanliness not only reduces the chances of workplace injuries but also demonstrates a commitment to improve wellbeing and safety. No one wants to be working in a potentially risky environment – keep employee safety and happiness front of mind.
Boosted company image
A clean and well-maintained office space reflects positively on the company’s professionalism and image, as well as symbolising staff’s emotional wellbeing.
When clients, partners, potential new employees, those who usually work from home or hybrid workers visit your premises, a clean and organised office creates a positive first impression.
Regular window cleaning is a good starting point. One of the first things observant clients will notice when visiting is whether window cleaning has happened recently!
It conveys a sense of attention to detail and pride in the work environment.
A clean office space can help build trust with clients or stakeholders and attract top talent to the organisation – don’t overlook it.
How to improve employee wellbeing benefits through a clean workspace
Now that we have discussed the benefits of a clean office space, let’s explore some practical tips on how to improve employee wellbeing initiatives through cleanliness:
- Introduce a regular cleaning schedule: Develop a comprehensive cleaning schedule that includes daily cleaning tasks like vacuuming, dusting, and sanitising common areas, as well as weekly or monthly tasks like deep cleaning carpets and upholstery. Consistency is key to maintaining a clean environment.
- Provide ample storage: Ensure that employees have access to sufficient storage solutions, such as filing cabinets, shelves, and drawers. Encourage employees to keep their workstations organised and clutter-free to limit unnecessary distractions and promote a clean workspace.
- Promote clean desk policy hygiene: Implement a clean desk policy where employees are encouraged to declutter their desks at the end of each workday. This policy helps reduce the accumulation of unnecessary items and promotes a clean and organised environment.
- Encourage personal responsibility: Foster a culture of cleanliness by encouraging employees to take responsibility for their own workspace. Provide resources like disinfecting wipes or hand sanitisers and remind employees to clean their desks, keyboards, and other frequently touched surfaces regularly.
- Invest in professional cleaning: Consider using professional cleaning services to ensure thorough and consistent cleaning of the entire office space. A commercial cleaning service will have the expertise and tools to deep clean carpets, sanitise restrooms, and maintain high standards of cleanliness.
- Provide adequate facilities: Ensure that employees have access to well-maintained and clean facilities such as restrooms, break rooms, and kitchen areas. Regular cleaning and stocking of supplies in these areas contribute to a positive employee experience.
- Educate employees on hygiene practices: Regardless of job roles, conduct regular training sessions to educate staff on proper hygiene practices, including handwashing, employee health and safety in the workplace, and cleaning protocols. Empower employees to contribute to a clean and healthy work environment.
- Encourage good working relationships and a collaborative work culture: Encourage teamwork and collaboration in maintaining a clean office space. Recognise and appreciate employees who take initiative in keeping the workplace tidy. By creating a positive work culture that values cleanliness, employees will be more inclined to contribute to a clean and organised office environment.
If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a comprehensive office cleaning checklist to use.
Conclusion: The Benefits Of Maintaining A Clean Office Space For Employees
Maintaining a clean office space is a top priority that goes beyond aesthetics; it directly impacts employee wellbeing, mental health, stress management, productivity, and overall job satisfaction.
By investing in cleanliness and implementing practical strategies, employers can create a positive work environment that fosters productivity and personal development, reduces the spread of illness, enhances employee wellbeing, and boosts the company’s image.
A clean office space is a win-win situation, benefiting the employee experience and organisation as a whole by reducing workplace problems.
So, make cleanliness a priority and witness the positive transformation it brings to a happy team.
share this article